You may ask why would you want to be Chairman of IoD Essex as did I, and many more before me. Let me start answering that question with another – why wouldn’t you, if you feel you have the leadership qualities, business experience and skills to communicate effectively with fellow directors, stakeholder groups and local and national government?
If any of those attributes describe you, you have a little spare time, and you would like to grow your profile amongst business owners across Essex and beyond, then why not apply to be the next Chairman of IoD Essex?
During my three year tenure as Chairman, I have found the experience extremely rewarding – and one which can be managed alongside ‘the day job’. Time commitment is in your control with quarterly committee meetings, no more than four regional meetings a year and twice-yearly meetings at Pall Mall with other Branch Chairmen. When I think back on some of the highlights I am particularly proud of the work we have done with local schools and colleges through our Aspirations in Business programme. In 2015, in its tenth year, we took it into local universities for the first time – in IoD Essex we are truly proud of this initiative and I want to leave it in good hands!
So – what are the main responsibilities of an IoD Chairman?
- Firstly be an ambassador for the IoD, its brand and its commitment to best practice governance. You have an opportunity to influence and shape IoD services and offerings for its Members through working with your Essex Branch Committee, our Regional Chairman and the other branches in the Eastern Region, and through Branch Chairmen’s meetings at Pall Mall.
- More locally, working with your Committee and Pall Mall, you have a responsibility to deliver events for Essex Members that provide professional development, networking and social opportunities for fellow directors.
- Supporting and working with education at all levels in the county, providing a great opportunity to address the shortcomings in terms of employability skills.
Apart from these IoD-related activities, as Chairman, you will have the opportunity to be invited to various “tables” to represent both IoD policy views and local Members’ views.
This could include:
- Contribution to the Greater Essex Business Board, working with the South-East LEP to influence investment priorities across our county.
- Acting as Vice Chair on the Local Authority’s Employment and Skills Board, recognised by SELEP as the exemplar board to represent business influence for our skills and training investment across Essex.
If you are interested in being the next IoD Essex Branch Chair, please send a two page CV together with a covering letter (by post or by email) explaining the attributes you think you could bring to the role, to David Sales by email or post: 5 Playcross Close, Great Cambourne, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB23 5AF.
The deadline for applications is 29th February 2016. Tim will formally step down at the end of February 2016 with the AMM confirming the new Chair in April 2016. We look forward to your application.